Throughout the early twentieth century, the San Fernando Valley was farmland -- wheat, avocados, oranges, and squash grew in abundance. The town of Zelza was an agricultural shipping center for its urban neighbor, Los Angeles. Founded in 1910 along the Southern Pacific Railroad in the northwest San Fernando Valley, it was among the early housing tracts carved from the former Mission Rancho San Fernando lands. The post office and train depot were renamed Northridge in 1938. Today, the 356-acre California State University, Northridge (CSUN) campus sits on a portion of that land. Color transparency, 2 x 2 in.
This resource is made available for educational purposes. Commercial use of works that are not in the public domain is strictly prohibited by law without prior written consent from the copyright holder(s). The responsibility for the use of these materials rests exclusively with the user.