An application for a loan on new construction of a church building from the Woodland Hills Community Church to the Congregational Church Building Society, 1948. The Woodland Hills Church and Community Center was established in the mid-1940s by retired pastor Rev. Ellsworth Smith to provide a meeting place for local community organizations such as the Boy Scouts, Woodland Hills Chamber of Commerce and a church. In 1947, four lots at the corner of Dumtez Road and Canoga Avenue were purchased for this purpose. The land contained several former army barracks that were refurbished and used until the funds were raised for a permanent church and community center. Funding was provided through contributions from the Southern California Congregational Conference, other community organizations, and the proceeds from a benefit concert featuring entertainer Bob Hope and actress Vera Vague, who was also Honorary Mayor of Woodland Hills. A groundbreaking ceremony was held December 5, 1948 and the building was completed in 1949. 4 page document. Page 2 of 2 scanned. Application, 11 x 8.5 cm.