Group portrait of Sunday school group during Christmas celebrations in the barracks that were the first home of the Woodland Hills Community Church, December, 1948. The Woodland Hills Church and Community Center was established in the mid-1940s by retired pastor Rev. Ellsworth Smith to provide a meeting place for local community organizations such as the Boy Scouts, Woodland Hills Chamber of Commerce and a church. In 1947, four lots at the corner of Dumtez Road and Canoga Avenue were purchased for this purpose. The land contained several former army barracks that were refurbished and used until the funds were raised for a permanent church and community center. Groundbreaking ceremony for the new construction was the same month this photograph was taken. Black and white photograph, 8 x 10 in.