Members of the newly formed Woodland Hills Community Church congregation at one of the first meetings, May 1947. The Woodland Hills Church and Community Center was established in the mid-1940s by retired pastor Rev. Ellsworth Smith to provide a meeting place for local community organizations such as the Boy Scouts, Woodland Hills Chamber of Commerce and a church. In 1947, four lots at the corner of Dumtez Road and Canoga Avenue were purchased for this purpose. The land contained several former army barracks that were refurbished and used until the funds were raised for a permanent church and community center. In the early days of the church, the congregation would hold services outside. Incorporated in 1948, the Woodland Hills Community Church was the first church in the neighborhood of Woodland Hills. Black and white photograph, 3 x 5 in.