Harvesting grain on Porter Ranch around 1900. The Porter Ranch was located in the northern part of present day Northridge and Granada Hills between Limekiln Canyon on the east and Aliso Canyon on the west side. The ranch was part of the 56,000-acre San Fernando rancho purchased by Senator Charles Maclay and George K. Porter in 1874 with George's cousin, Benjamin Porter, joining the partnership a few years later. The owners dissolved their partnership in 1888. Benjamin Porter took the land west of Aliso Canyon, George the center part, and Maclay the part east of City of San Fernando to Roscoe (present day Sun Valley). Benjamin sold the western end of his land to the San Fernando Valley Improvement Company, which created the Chatsworth Park subdivision and farmed his remaining acreage. George Porter and Senator Maclay subdivided their lands. In the late 1930's the author W.W. Robinson described the Ranch lands as containing large ranch estates on 10,000 acres of rolling hills with magnificent vistas. Today the Porter Ranch Development Company owned by developer Nathan Shapell covers much of the original ranch. Black and white photograph. 8 x 10 in.