This house located at 11131 Alleghney is an example of the architecture used in the tract of Stonehurst. A fine local example of semi-bungalow style, with added covered porch. Stonehurst was built around 1924, by the "Pep" Rempp Organization in the area now known as Sun Valley but referred to by its inhabitants as being a part of Shadow Hills. 66 structures made of stone still exist in the Stonehurst tract, including a few business structures. The use of native rock in the construction of the buildings throughout the neighborhood makes this area stand out as a singular example of this form of house construction. The Tujunga Wash's channel shift in the great flood of 1910, almost a mile to the west, exposed a large deposit of native rock. It was this rock used in the construction of these houses. Other factors influencing the creation of rock houses were the wider availability of Portland Cement and a reliable water supply. These houses are constructed differently than most stone structures. They are not flat surfaced stacked but rather the stone is recessed into mortar using smaller stones and rubble for structural support. This creates a natural look, one where the mortar holding the stones in place is not readily visible. This construction method has allowed these houses with their porches, fireplaces and fences, to withstand two major earthquakes: 1971 and 1994. (see Stonehurst- A 1920's Stone Neighborhood by Albert Knight, 1999) Photographer: Albert Knight. Color Photograph. 4 x 6 in.