A plaque containing William Ellsworth Smythe's philosophy titled "The hope of the Little Lands." The plaque was unveiled during the dedication of Bolton Hall in 1913. Bolton Hall was the community center for the colony. The plaque reads, "That individual independence shall be achieved by millions of men and women, walking in the sunshine without fear of want. That in response to the loving labor of their hands, the earth shall answer their prayer: "Give us this day our daily bread." That they and their children shall be proprietors rather than tenants, working not for others but for themselves. That theirs shall be the life of the open--the open sky and the open heart--fragrant with the breath of flowers more fragrant with the spirit of fellowship which makes the good of one the concern of all, and raises the individual by raising the mass." William Ellsworth Smythe was the founder of the "Little Lands Colony" which was located in present day Tujunga. Today, Bolton Hall is the home of the Little Landers Historical Society. The historical society is located at 10110 Commerce, Tujunga, CA 91042. Phone: (818) 352-3420. Donor: Mary Louise Eberhardt. 7 x 9.5 in. Black and white photograph.