The Community Service Organization (CSO) Buyers' Club started February 1966 to provide low-income families with discounted items. The Buyers' Club was open to the community for a membership fee of five dollars. From its conception in 1947, the state-wide Community Service Organization (CSO) fostered a mission to the Mexican-American community to serve as a grassroots organization promoting empowerment. The organization was founded and grew through the efforts of Fred Ross, Edward Roybal, Dolores Huerta, Cesar Chavez, Herman Gallegos, and Anthony (Tony) Rios, under the auspices of Saul Alinsky's Industrial Areas Foundation (IAF). The CSO had chapters throughout California that offered social programs which included youth services, immigration services, alcohol abuse prevention and housing development.
8 in. x 10 in.