San Fernando Valley History Digital Library
California State University Northridge

Oviatt Library

Dedication of "Welcome to Arleta" sign sponsored by the Arleta Chamber of Commerce, 1994

San Fernando Valley State College (now California State University, Northridge), 1960s.

Northridge

A neighborhood founded in 1908 in the north-central San Fernando Valley between North Hills and Winnetka. Originally named Zelzah, a biblical term for "oasis," it was renamed North Los Angeles in 1929 and Northridge in 1938.

Display Northridge images with descriptions


18111 Nordhoff St. Northridge CA 91330 (818) 677-2285