San Fernando Valley History Digital Library
California State University Northridge

Oviatt Library

Lankershim Boulevard at dusk, 1950s

Lankershim Boulevard at dusk, 1950s

North Hollywood

A neighborhood founded in 1888 in the southeastern San Fernando Valley between Studio City and Van Nuys. The area was known as Toluca until 1911 when it was subdivided by the Los Angeles Suburban Homes Company and renamed Lankershim for Isaac Lankershim, an early land owner. It was annexed to Los Angeles in 1923 and renamed North Hollywood.

Display North Hollywood images with descriptions


18111 Nordhoff St. Northridge CA 91330 (818) 677-2285