A neighborhood founded in 1912 in the western San Fernando Valley between Reseda and West Hills. It was originally named Owensmouth by Los Angeles Times publisher Gen. Harrison Grey Otis, one of the investors in the Los Angeles Suburban Homes Company, which developed the town. It consolidated with Los Angeles on February 26, 1917. In 1931, residents adopted the name Canoga, which was the name of Southern Pacific train stop in the town. The "Park" was added later.