Introduction to Metadata: A Select Bibliography
Mother of all Metadata sites:
Digital Libraries: Metadata Resources (IFLA) Online.
- Ahronheim, Judith R. "Descriptive metadata: Emerging standards." Journal of Academic Librarianship. 24, no. 5 (Sept. 1998): 395-404.
- Arms, William Y. Digital Libraries. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press, 2000
- Baca, Murtha. Introduction to Metadata. Getty Trust, 2000. Version 2.
- Baker, Thomas. "DC Qualifiers and a Grammar for DC Metadata. " DLIB (Oct. 2000). http://www.dlib.org/dlib/october00/baker/10baker.html
- Borgman, Christine L. From Gutenberg to the Global Information Infrastructure: Access to Information in the Networked World. Cambridge, Mass : MIT Press, c2000
- Burnett, Kathleen, Kwong Bor Ng, and Soyeon Park. "A comparison of the two traditions of metadata development." Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology. 50, no. 13 (Nov. 1999): 1209-1217.
- Gorman, Michael. "Metadata or cataloging? A false choice." Journal of Internet Cataloging. 2, no. 1 (1999): 5-22.
- Gradmann, Stefan. "Cataloging vs. metadata, old wine in new bottles?" International Cataloging and Bibliographic Control. 28, no. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1999): 88-90.
- Hakala, Juha. "Internet metadata and library cataloging." International Cataloging and Bibliographic Control. 28, no. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1999): 21-25.
- Hugins, Jean, Grace Agnew, and Elizabeth Brown. Getting Mileage out of Metadata: Applications for the Library. Chicago: American Library Association, 1999.
Journal of the American Society for Information Science 51, no. 1, (2000). (Special Issue: When Museum Informatics Meets the World Wide Web. Issue Edited by David Bearman, Jennifer Trant.)
_____.Volume 50, no. 13 (1999). (Special Issue: Integrating Multiple Overlapping Metadata Standards. Issue Edited by Zorana Ercegovac.)
- Kenney, Anne R., and Oya Y, Rieger. Moving Theory into Practice: Digital Imaging for Libraries and Archives. Mountain View, Calif.: Research Libraries Group, 2000.
- Lagoze, Carl. "Keeping Dublin Core Simple Cross-Domain Discovery or Resource Description?" DLIB 7, no. 1 (Jan. 2001) http://www.dlib.org/dlib/january01/lagoze/01lagoze.html
- Lee-Smeltzer, Kuang-Hwei (Janet). "Finding the needle: controlled vocabularies, resource discovery, and Dublin Core." Library Collections, Acquisitions & Technical Services. 24 (2000): 205-215.
- Lesk, Michael. Practical Digital Libraries: Books, Bytes, Bucks. San Francisco: Morgan Kaufmann, 1997.
- Lynch, Clifford A. "When documents deceive: trust and provenance as new factors for information retrieval in a tangled web." Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology. 52, no. 1 (Jan. 2001): 12-17.
- Miller, Paul and Daniel Greenstein. Discovering Online Resources Across the Humanities: A Practical Implementation of the Dublin Core. Bath, UK: UKLON, 1997.
- Milstead, Jessica and Susan Feldman. "Metadata: Cataloging by Any Other Name … " ONLINE. (Jan.) 1999. Multisearch Article Results
- _____."Metadata projects and standards." ONLINE. (Jan. 1999).
Multisearch Article Results
- Sitts, Maxine K. Handbook for Digital Projects: a Management Tool for Preservation and Access. Andover, Mass.: Northeast Document Conservation Center, 2000.
Also available online in as a pdf: https://www.nedcc.org/assets/media/documents/dman.pdf
- Smits, Jan. "Metadata: and introduction." Cataloging and Classification Quarterly. 27, no. 3-4 (1999): 303-19.
- Svenonius, Elaine. The Intellectual Foundation of Information Organization. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press, 2000.
- Turner, Thomas P. and Lise Brackbill. "Rising to the top: evaluating the use of HTML metatags to improve the retrieval of World Wide Web documents through Internet search engines." Library Resources & Technical Services. 42 (Oct. 98): 258-271.
- Vellucci, Sherry L. "Metadata and Authority Control." Library Resources & Technical Services. 44, no. 1 (Jan. 2000)
Links updated January 19, 2007